AGMAt our well attended AGM last week two changes were made to the committee:
- Brian Fairey has been N. Herts' swarms officer for many years and now hands over to Helen Amey. Helen has a dedicated phone for swarm calls – 07952 010015 - all relevant authorities have been notified so we hope it works. If you are willing to collect swarms in your area please contact Helen. Likewise if you wish to receive a swarm.
- John Brooksbank and his wife have delivered the Herts Newsletter for many years (?30) and this has now been taken on by Janet Kirtland.
Honey tastingFollowing the AGM we all tasted the various honeys. Marks awarded this year were rather low – we are all becoming too discerning! But the worthy winners were:
- Graham Beesley (first again!) with a rather nice lime honey
- John Hill - rape honey
- Sam Greenbank - mixed flower honey
Beginners eveningDerek and Graham are holding a second evening for beginners on April 6th at 7.30pm at Howgills.
April meetingOn April 20th (Howgills 7.30pm as usual) Andy Johnston will give us some good advice on record keeping.
There will be a bring and buy sale during the evening and after the break Graham will lead a discussion on swarms / swarm prevention.
Summer meetingsFor new members who may not have been to one before, these are very pleasant afternoons spent in one of our members' apiaries looking at and talking about bees – a good way to learn how to handle bees - and followed by tea and cakes.
So far this year we have the following dates arranged, all at 2.00 for 2.30pm: (please phone first to say you will be coming, or for directions)
- Graham Beesley's apiary on May 1st near Redcoats Green.
- Andy Johnston June 5th in Shillington (Andy invites Bedfordshire Beekeepers too, so places at this very popular apiary meeting will be limited to only 10 N. Herts members. Please email or phone Andy if you would like to come; first come, first served.)
- Pat Veasey June 19th at Gosmore Cross
- John Hill July 17th at Boxwood
- Nortonbury Association apiary July 24th (provisionally)
- David Massey August 21st at Charlton