West Herts news by Margaret Tighe

August has been an interesting and busy month. In the middle weeks of the month I heard about two swarms which were collected in the Oxhey area, and another one collected by Diane Bruce which was a "starvation swarm". When I heard this I did not know what this was so Lindsay Bruce kindly explained to me (and I apologise to the readers who already know this) that bees will swarm at this time of year if there is not enough food in the hive. They take the queen with them and go in search of a location where they can find more food!

Once again there were two good apiary meetings this month. At our most recent meeting a fast clearer was put on one of the Association hives and, after half a day, three supers of honey were taken off. Some of this honey will be given to Croxley House by way of payment for use of their grounds, and hopefully the rest will be made available for new members to purchase.

No comments: