Can you help me? I have a swarm. In Spain!

 

As editor of Hert Bees I receive some interesting requests from members of the public. I recently received an email from Paul Hickling who now lives in Spain. Paul writes:

I used to have a house in Albury many moons ago and a menswear shop in Bishop's Stortford (Donald Hickling) and have lived in Spain since I left Albury in 1977 where I have a restaurant (www.romanoasismanilva.com). I wonder if you could give me some advice. We have a large bees nest above one of our doors that has been there a couple of months and I don't know what to do with it. Needless to say I can't get any information here. Questions: if I just leave it will they eventually go away? Can I take some honey and if so, how? Whilst we can use another door to get in the house it is inconvenient but in no way do I want to hurt them. If you can help me I would be most grateful.

I gave them some advice about smoking them, being extremely well protected and the possibility of taking some honey but when he sent the picture (top-right) I advised seeking the help of an expert as the bees seemed well established. The next email from him contained a picture of an improvised bee suit and his thanks for helping him obtain some wonderful honey for his breakfast. The suit is made from a ski suit & gloves, some wide-brimmed hats, nylon netting and lots of sticky tape.

If anyone is going on holiday to Malaga then I'm sure Paul Hickling would welcome a fellow "beekeeper" into his restaurant.

No comments: