Meetings – all to be held at Prae Wood Apiary
- Saturday 15th May 2010 at 3.00pm - At our second members meeting of the season Eric Margrave and Luke Adams will demonstrate the art of ‘Making a nucleus box, stocking it and uses of…’
- Saturday 19th June 2010 at 3.00pm - For the third members meeting Crispin Baker will explain ‘Winter feeding, how and what…’
- Saturday 10th July 2010 at 3.00pm - The fourth members meeting will be about ‘Current varroa treatments’ and will be demonstrated by Eileen Remnant.
Our highly successful beginners course ended on the 23rd April. We counted 26 in and 26 out!
There will be a ‘Meet your Mentor’ session on May 1st at Prae Wood.
Thank you to all the Association members who turned up for each session to help to set up the Hall and clear away afterwards, to talk reassuringly to the course participants during the refreshment break and who helped make the teas and washed up afterwards.
A special thank you to Eileen Remnant who once again did a magnificent job pulling everything together and to all those who gave the talks and demonstrations. Without you all there wouldn’t be St Albans BKA Beginners Courses each year, we wouldn’t have a thriving Division and there would be a lot more frustrated potential beekeepers out there. So thank you - and see you all again next year…..?
A reminder that BeeWorld will be held at the Herts Show on the weekend of May 29th/30th at the Redbourn Showground and arrangements are well in hand. The co-ordinators are Marian Whittaker and Luke Adams.
The Herts Show organizers are very keen to have us back after an absence of many years so to all members of Herts BKA – please make the effort to support us and make it a really successful ‘Meet the Public’ venture.
St Albans BKA ‘Meet the Public’ events in 2010
- Redbourn Rural Day - Sunday May 23rd 9.30 – 3.30 (Redbourn Common)
- ‘BeeWorld’ Herts Show - Sat. & Sun. May 29th/30th (Redbourn Showground)
- Oaklands Open Day - Sunday June 13th 10.00 – 4.00 (Smallford Campus, St Albans)
- Harpenden Discovery Day - Saturday June 19th 10.00 – 5.00 (Harpenden Common)
- Earthworks Open Day - Sunday September 5th (Hixbury Lane, St Albans)
National Trust ‘Bee Part of It’
Anne Wingate informs us that she is involved with the National Trust ‘Bee Part of It’ project with the BBC Local Radio/T.V. The provided WBC Hive will be at Shaws Corner, Ayot St Lawrence, Herts alongside the 2 WBC’s she and her husband David manage already for the Trust. Launch date is 17th May 2010.